Chef José Andrés’s Lo Mein Recipe
For Chinese New Year, try this dish from Chef José Andrés, who makes this Lo Mein dish at his restaurant Ku Noodle in Las Vegas.
For the sauce:
- 1/4 cup sweet soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons aged soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- In a small bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients and set aside until ready to use.
For the dish:
- 10 ounces fresh or dried lo mein noodle
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 2 oz sliced ham
- 1/4 cup small diced white onion
- 1/4 cup sliced oyster mushrooms
- 1/4 cup sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1/2 cup shredded Napa cabbage
- 1/4 cup carrot, very thinly sliced
- 1/4 bunch cilantro, stems removed
- 1/4 bunch green onions, very thinly sliced
- Cook the lo mein noodles according to package directions. Let cool and set aside.
- Heat a wok or a large non-stick sauté pan over high heat until smoking. Carefully add the garlic, ginger, ham, onion, and mushrooms, and sauté until lightly browned, about 2 minutes, stirring frequently to avoid burning.
- Add the cooked noodles, cabbage, carrot, and sauce to the pan, tossing frequently until the sauce is reduced and no longer watery, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to serving dish and garnish with the cilantro and green onions.