After that hot summer day, all we want is a nice cooling refreshment. These are 8 summer drinks from around the globe you can try that will help keep your summer cool.
1. Horchata (Mexico)This traditional drink is popular all over Latin America. The Mexican-style drink includes rice, cinnamon, and vanilla. It was first Introduced from Spain by the Moors. In other Latin American countries, different varieties may use ground almonds, sesame seeds, barley or tigernuts. This Beverage has a milky taste to it and it is known as an “agua fresca” or refreshing drink in Mexico. Recipe here.
2. Thai Tea (Thailand)This tasty beverage is enjoyed by people of all ages. The traditional version of this tea is brewed with Ceylon Tea. However, due to the tea’s high price it is now generally brewed with Bai Miang with added food coloring. This Drink is sweetened with sugar and condensed milk. Other added ingredients may include orange blossom water, star anise, or crushed tamarind seed. In restaurants, after brewing and adding sweetener, milk is usually poured on top to add a tasty and creamy appearance. Recipe here.
3. Lassi (India)Whether you prefer sweet or salty there is no doubt you will love this drink. Lassi Drinks are now gaining popularity around the world, and are blended with yogurt, water, spices, and sometimes fruit. Mango Lassi is especially popular around the globe for the sweet lovers. The salty version can be made with salt and ground or roasted cumin, making it a savory delicacy. Recipe here.
4. Winter melon Tea (China)Winter? But this is summer! Don’t let the name deceive you, for the winter melon is harvested in the winter but can be stored for up to 12 months. This refreshing drink is more like a punch than a tea, brewed with brown sugar until you get that caramel look. Refrigerated then later iced, this drink soothes most thirst quenches on the hottest days of summer. Recipe here.
5. Chicha Morada (Peru)Having a history of Incan ritual uses, this drink is now the most traditional you can get in Peruvian beverages. This drink is brewed with purple corn, pineapple rind, cinnamon, and clove. Once the drink has reached a deep purple color, sugar is added then refrigerated. The taste is very unique that is enjoyed especially by the children, but be careful: It stains! Recipe here.