Longtime UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva said he missed his UFC 162 obligations due to a miscommunication.
It was reported earlier this week that Silva, 38, was fined $50,000 by UFC head Dana White.
“We had a full media day set up for him in Los Angeles, and he just decided he didn’t want to do it,” White told USA Today. “So he’s being fined $50,000.”
Silva was slated to meet with websites, television stations, radio stations, and newspapers. He went to Brazil instead.
Silva told Brazilian magazine Veja on Tuesday that he was only made aware of the media appointment on Monday, according to MMAWeekly.com.
“I’ve never missed a single appointment with UFC,” Silva said. “I would never book a trip to Brazil if I knew I was supposed to be in Los Angeles.”
He added: “Everybody knows that I always lock in (media appearances so I can) devote myself to training, which is my priority. I’m an athlete and my focus will always be to train and be ready for the challenges.”
Silva will face off against Chris Weidman on July 7 in Las Vegas.
When he fined Silva, White said that it was part of his contractual obligation with the UFC.
“Everybody wants more money, more money, more money, but nobody wants to sell the fight or go out and talk to the media. Talking to the media is part of your job, whether you like it or not,” he said.
In 2011, welterweight Nick Diaz missed a press conference to promote the fight with UFC champion Georges St-Pierre. At the time, White took Diaz out of the fight and replaced him with Carlos Condit.