Free Annual Credit Report: How to Get One
You may also like
More in Personal Finance
Debt Collector: $8.97 Sought for a DVD Rental
Free annual credit report: One can get free credit reports from three credit bureaus, Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion.
You can get one free credit report from each agency once every 12 months.
As SBWire explains, federal law stipulates that everyone is entitled to an additional free report if you experience the following:
- If you are denied credit, insurance, or employment. (You then must request your credit report within 60 days from being denied. Write to the credit bureaus and let them know that you were denied credit and that you would like a free credit report).
- If you are unemployed and plan to search for a job within 60 days.
- If you are on welfare or a victim of identity theft.
- If the bank or a credit card company charges you higher rates or fees, and their decision was based on your credit report.
- If there was a negative change in your credit limit, or the collection agency tells you that they have reported adverse information on your credit report.