MTA: Blasting Done for Initial Phase of 2nd Ave. Subway


NEW YORK— Workers have finished all blasting operations for the first phase of the massive Second Avenue subway construction project.

The MTA says Friday all heavy construction to excavate the newly created 96th Street station was also completed earlier this month.

The controlled blasting of the first phase started in November 2009.

The MTA says on excavation for the 96th Street Station resulted in the disposal of thousands of tons of soil, rock, concrete and debris taken to facilities in New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania.

The $4.45 billion project to extend the Q line up and down Second Avenue in Manhattan is expected to be ready for riders by the end of 2016. There will be new stations at 72nd Street, 86th Street and 96th Street.

Category: New York NY News


Top