Bombers’ Times Square Plan: After Boston, Times Square Was Next

Give feedback
Print Friendly

Bombers’ Times Square plan: The Boston Marathon suspects reportedly had plans to go to New York City to detonate the remaining explosives they had last week, it was reported.

They were apparently thwarted when the owner of the SUV they hijacked escaped, reported NBC News on Thursday. It eventually triggered a car chase involving police that led to a shootout that left suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev dead.

Surviving suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19, told investigators from his hospital room that the duo had plans to detonate the bombs in Times Square after the Boston attack.

Officials, however, said that their plan was not well thought-out, with one senior official, who was not named, telling the broadcaster it was “aspirational at most.”

“I’ve heard that from police sources that Times Square was mentioned by the bombers and is believed to have been the next attack, the next possible attack,” Rep. Peter King also told Fox News.

New York Mayor Mike Blomberg and Police Commissioner Ray Kelly are reportedly slated to talk about the potential bomb plot later on Thursday.

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev originally told investigators that they were going to New York to “party” but then changed his answer in another interview.

At the crime scene where Tamerlan Tsnarnaev died, officials found hundreds of rounds of ammunition and homemade explosives.


Give feedback
Print Friendly

Top