A woman spent more than $500 on surgery for her pet goldfish who had apparently choked on a small rock.
After she noticed her goldfish was choking on the pebble, the unidentified Australian woman rushed it to a nearby veterinary office.
“Just last week we had a client with a fishy problem! Conquer the Ranchu Goldfish had accidentally eaten a pebble from his tank and got it stuck in his tiny mouth,” the vets wrote on the Brisbane Bird and Exotics Veterinary Services Facebook page. “Our vets had to give him some help in removing it.”
They used anesthetics, gloves, and a tiny tool to remove the rock from the mouth of the fish.
“A physical exam revealed that Conquer had a black pebble stuck in the back of his throat,” it added.
“Had she not noticed the subtle changes in her pet, he surely would have starved,” the clinic told CBS News.
The operation on the fish, which CBS reported cost about $500, apparently went without incident.
“While there has been quite a lot of fuss made over the cost of the procedure, we are really just focussed on getting a great outcome for the pet, and their worried owner,” the clinic told CBS. “Most people wouldn’t bat an eyelid spending this money on a dog, cat or child, so why would we value our beautiful exotic pets any less?”
A goldfish owner in 2014 spent about $200 to save a fish named George. In that operation, a tumor was removed in its head.