If you see messages that use words like “excited” and “tonight” and “ridiculously” and “uber” in your Facebook messenger, there’s a high chance its a woman typing them.
On the other hand, if the message contains word like “government” and “freedom” and “rights” and “country,” you have the highest chance its a man posting it.
At least that’s what it says in a study on over 15,000 Facebook users conducted by a team of scientists from U.S., United Kingdom, and Australia.
The users gave their permission to have their Facebook data mined, and scientists then looked for word patterns to figure out what topics are most associated with men and women, among other things.
In general, women typed more warmly and more frequently about things like friends, family, and social life.
Men used colder language, but exhibited more swearing and anger. They more frequently discussed politics, technical subjects, and values like freedom and democracy.
Furthermore, women used language that was warmer, more compassionate, polite, and—contrary to previous findings—slightly more assertive.
Men used colder, more hostile, and impersonal language.
The Most Female-Related Topics by Related Keywords
- excited, tomorrow, tonight, soooo, sooo, super, yay, sooooo, uber, ridiculously
- happy, birthday, wishing, sister, years, wonderful, st, daughter, nephew, brother
- cute, baby, adorable, puppy, sooo, aww, soo, he’s, soooo, awww
- <3, :), ily, babe, boyfriend, par, besties, bestie, =], xoxo
- family, friends, wonderful, blessed, amazing, thankful, loving, husband, grateful, lucky
- love, loved, truely, freely, shown, dearly
- :), : (, dayy, funn, soo, todayy, goood, alll, yayy
- shopping, christmas, grocery, clothes, xmas, online, shopping, spree, lunch, mail
- love, sister, friend, world, beautiful, precious, sister, thin, words, shared
- <3, brandon, zach, amazing, jr, robert, boyfriend, heather, katie, mummy
- love, yo, adore, xoxo, admire, extraordinary, absolutely, genuine, entitled, mentioned
- <3, d, :), ;), amazing, xx, : ‘), xxx, xxxx
- <3, love, ^_^, ^.^, ; d, sweetheart, hun, inlove, mucho, girlies
- :), fun, haha, danielle, marie, hanging, sooo, soo, hahaha, hahah
- miss, dad, man, missing, girl, daddy, forever, boyfriend, show, husband
- sister, niece, nephew, loves, aunt, nieces, nephews, secrets, auntie, mother
- great, lunch, nice, dinner, family, enjoyed, church, wonderful, afternoon, sunday
- love, loving, jared, love’s, haters, losers, enemies, secure, ing, supported
- day, wonderful, hope, great, blessed, beautiful, fantastic, filled, goodmorning, glorious
- house, family, mom, cousins, grandparents, dinner, cousin, grandma, parents, dad
The Most Male-Related Topics by Related Keywords
- government, freedom, rights, country, thomas, political, democracy, liberty, america, power
- win, lose, game, losing, winning, bet, loose, loses, streak, wi
- battle, fight, victory, fighting, win, war, defeat, enemy, defeated, won
- [expletives omitted]
- football, team, season, game, play, players, league, sports, fantasy, player
- metal, music, band, rock, bands, heavy, listening, singer, songs, listen
- xbox, ps, play, playing, live, games, cod, online, wii, playin
- opinion, opinions, logic, based, political, fact, moral, beliefs, philosophy, argument
- world, cup, spain, win, england, fifa, germany, won, usa, final
- government, economy, tax, budget, pay, taxes, country, income, benefits, obama
- gun, guns, shot, shoot, shooting, range, barrel, loaded, shotgun, cracker
- album, cd, listening, songs, song, release, listen, itunes, albums, released
- music, sound, headphones, loud, bass, speakers, studio, hear, drum, volume
- death, die, dies, died, painful, dying, loss, slow, cab, funeral
- skills, management, business, learning, information, research, communication, engineering, development, technology
- american, british, accent, history, asian, america, russia, country, western, african
- computer, error, program, photoshop, server, properly, file, website, message, view
- guitar, playing, hero, bass, drums, learn, learning, acoustic, electric
- man, iron, chef, cave, flat, slave, tin, fist, properly, beg
- kill, kills, killed, murder, killing, die, swear, dead, alive, boredom