Conor McGregor: UFC Star Offered $2 Million to Fight for Russian MMA Promotion, Reports Say
Conor McGregor: UFC Star Offered $2 Million to Fight for Russian MMA Promotion, Reports Say

Conor McGregor is out of UFC 200 in July, but that doesn’t mean he’s not in demand.

According to Karim Zidan of Bloody Elbow, the 27-year-old Irish MMA star has received a $2 million offer from Russian promotion Fight Nights Global to take on Rasul Mirzaev as the undercard of the Fedor Emelianenko/Fabio Maldonado heavyweight bout on June 17. Zidan received the news Wednesday from Russian MMA journalist Alexey Safonov.

Unfortunately for McGregor (and MMA fans) the star fighter is under contractual obligations to the UFC and would not be able to take the offer even if he wanted to.

The move would appear to be more of a PR stunt than anything.

McGregor’s UFC 200 status went up in the air last week when he suddenly announced his retirement in a tweet on Tuesday. Arguably UFC’s biggest star, McGregor was set to fight Nate Diaz in a rematch of UFC 196 in March, which was stunningly won by Diaz via a second-round submission.

UFC President Dana White announced—just hours after McGregor’s retirement tweet—that McGregor was taken off the UFC 200 card due to his unwillingness to fly out to Las Vegas and do promotions for the fight. McGregor then posted a message on Facebook two days later, saying he wasn’t retired, still wanted to do UFC 200, and explained his issue with the mandatory promotions.

Diaz, for his part, said he didn’t want to fight anyone but McGregor.

The whole turn-of-events forced White to remove the coveted McGregor/Diaz main event of UFC 200 in favor of a Jon Jones/Daniel Cormier rematch—despite a confusing tweet Monday by McGregor that said he was back on for UFC 200.

As for when McGregor will fight again, only he knows. According to White though, he’d like to get him back as soon as possible.

× close
Top