Recipe: Chocolate Truffle Torte
Yield: 12 servings
1 pound semisweet chocolate
1/2 pound butter
1/2 pound sugar
6 eggs, separated
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Line a nine-inch spring-form cake pan with wax paper and grease the tin. Wrap of outside of the pan with a double layer of heavy-duty aluminum foil to prevent seepage.
3. Break the chocolate into small pieces and melt it together with butter in a metal bowl over hot water.
4. Beat the egg yolks with half of the sugar.
5. Fold into the melted butter and chocolate mixture.
6. Beat egg whites until frothy by using an electric mixer. Gradually add the remaining sugar, beating until stiff peaks form.
7. Fold in the beaten egg whites.
8. Scrape into the prepared spring-form pan and smooth with the spatula. Set the pan in a 2-inch deep pan and surround it with one inch of very hot water. Place on center of middle oven rack.
9. Bake at 350 F until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, approximately 40 minutes.
10. Remove from oven and let the cake cool on a wire rack for 45 minutes. After cake has cooled, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until very firm, about three hours.
Slice cake with a knife warmed by hot water.
Serve cold with ice cream or chocolate sorbet. Enjoy.