Top restaurant sickens 63: At the Noma, a top restaurant in Copenhagen, Denmark, some 63 people were reportedly sickened by norovirus.
Several dozen customers said they got sick after they ate at Danish restaurant named one of the world’s best.
Some 63 people claimed to have gotten sick at Copenhagen’s Noma restaurant, which has been called “the best restaurant in the world,” known for its Nordic cuisine, reported Bloomberg News. The eatery charges around $260 for its food and wine menu.
Twelve dinner paries over a four-day period suffered vomiting and diarrhea, Bloomberg said, citing the national health inspection agency. Staff also said they experienced illness.
Noma also failed to respond to e-mails from customers and staff complaining of illness in a timely enough manner, the agency said.
“We acknowledge that the internal procedures haven’t been good enough and because of busyness, employees didn’t check e-mails,” Noma said, according to Bloomberg.
Restaurant manager Peter Kreiner told The Associated Press they are trying to locate where there infection came from.
Bjorn Wirlander, the head of the Danish food agency, told the Financial Times that “a cocktail of different noroviruses” affected staff and customers. The illness was brought in by an employee.
Inspectors also that there was poor hand hygiene among staff members and one kitchen sink lacked hot water, the Times reported.
Last April, Noma was named the world’s best restaurant for a third straight year by “Restaurant” magazine.
The Epoch Times publishes in 35 countries and in 21 languages. Subscribe to our e-newsletter.