Iran is digging mass graves for U.S. soldiers in case they invade to stop the country's nuclear program, media reports said on Tuesday.
A picture and a video of the graves were posted on an Iranian news agency website, according to the Associated Press.
The photo and video were not dated but General Hossein Moghadam, a top official in Iran's Revolutionary Guard, told AP that graves had recently been dug for US soldiers.
He added that previously, the Revolutionary Guard dug mass graves in the 1980s for Iraqi soldiers when Iran was at war with Iraq under Saddam Hussein.
“The mass graves that used to be for burying Saddam's soldiers have now been prepared again for U.S. soldiers, and this is the reason for digging this big number of graves,” Moghadam said. He added that there has been an additional amount of graves that were recently dug, separate to the ones dug in the 1980s.
The United States and other nations believe that Iran is attempting to develop nuclear weapons. Tehran denies that its nuclear program is aimed at building weapons insisting that the program is for civil purposes only.
He added that if the U.S. were to attack, Iran would be forced to strike U.S. military bases in the Middle East.
In recent months, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Admiral Mike Mullen, has said that the U.S. has a blueprint plan in case they decide to invade Iran over its nuclear program.
A photo, which was taken from a video that aired on the semi-official FARS news web site, shows a swath of freshly dug holes intended to as graves in the desert region in southwest Khuzestan province.