Subscribe

Soft Drink Ban: DC Suburb Looking to Ban Soft Drinks

By Jack Phillips
Epoch Times Staff
Created: March 1, 2013 Last Updated: March 1, 2013
Related articles: United States » Northeast
Print E-mail to a friend Give feedback

Soft drink ban: The ban on soft drinks appears to be widening as authorities at a Washington D.C. suburb are aiming to ban vending machines at schools.

Cans of soda are displayed on a shelf on Jan. 23, 2013 in New York City. (Spencer Platt/Getty Images)

Cans of soda are displayed on a shelf on Jan. 23, 2013 in New York City. (Spencer Platt/Getty Images)

Authorities in a Washington D.C. suburb are looking to implement a ban on soda-dispensing vending machines in public middle schools and high schools.

School officials in Fairfax County, Virginia, told The Washington Post that their soda vending machines are turned on after school hours, but having the machines sends a bad message to students there.

“Even if it is not available during the school day, it’s still there, advertised all day,” said JoAnne Hammermaster, head of Real Food for Kids, according to the paper, which pointed out that 70 percent of items offered at school vending machines are soft drinks, while the other 30 percent are either water or no-calorie drinks.

As a parent of a seventh-grader and a freshman, Hammermaster said that “we’ve always said at some point we wanted to talk about vending machines. We believe there is no need for sodas in schools.”

The report comes as New York City officials banned soda sizes larger than 16 ounces. 

The big soda-ban will go into effect in New York City on March 12. Restaurants, delis, food carts, and vendors at sports arenas and movie theaters will be impacted.

Earlier in the week, Mayor Michael Bloomberg said that the ban on large sodas should be applied around the state.

“The state should do exactly the same thing in stores,” Bloomberg said, according to the New York Daily News.

The Epoch Times publishes in 35 countries and in 21 languages. Subscribe to our e-newsletter.



  • http://www.facebook.com/people/Leo-Smith/100002420035400 Leo Smith

    Why aren’t they banning cigarettes and alcohol if they care so much about our health? Because it has nothing to do with our health. It has to do with Control..Nothing else.

    • http://www.facebook.com/people/Alex-Tigger-Jennings/100000507086572 Alex Tigger-Jennings

      Cigs and alcohol are a choice for adults, it goes against freewill to ban those, we know better and do it anyway. Carbonated drinks are not good for kids health and can rapidly lead to child obesity, however they don’t know better (no matter what they claim)


GET THE FREE DAILY E-NEWSLETTER


Selected Topics from The Epoch Times

James Goodlatte