The city will be providing meals for New Yorkers who are struggling to get back on their feet after Hurricane Sandy, Mayor Michael Bloomberg announced Thursday.
“There are people who are transitioning from shock to real world problems,” he said.
From 3 p.m to 6 p.m Thursday, the city will be distributing 3 meals, 5 bottles of water per person for those who cannot afford it. Donations will be accepted at meal distribution points.
So far, confirmed locations are at West 25th Street and Surf Avenue, Brooklyn; and Mill Road and New Dorp Lane, in Staten Island. More locations will be added throughout the day and will be listed on nyc.gov
From Friday, meal distribution will continue to run from 7:30 a.m to 6:30 p.m everyday, until it is no longer needed.
AT&T pods with cell phone service and charging stations will also be available at the meal distribution locations.
“It’s pretty much as one stop shop as we can make it,” Bloomberg said.
The city confirmed that Hurricane Sandy has taken 38 lives. The storm is the most destructive the city has seen in recent times, leaving 1,525,969 customers out of power as at 1 p.m. Thursday, according to Gov. Cuomo.
Con Edison expects to make “significant progress restoring electricity over the next two days,” according to a statement.
Columbia University experts estimate that the city’s damage from Hurricane Sandy could reach up to $100 billion.
The Epoch Times publishes in 35 countries and in 19 languages. Subscribe to our e-newsletter.