Dog swallows 111 pennies: A dog underwent surgery after swallowing 111 pennies.
A dog in New York City ate 111 pennies, but was saved after it underwent emergency surgery, it was reported Wednesday.
A Jack Russell terrier named Jack swallowed the pennies last week and became sick immediately after, reported the New York Daily News.
The dog was then rushed to a nearby veterinarian in Manhattan for surgery. The 13-year-old animal was then placed under anesthesia and doctors took out the dozens of pennies. Pennies made after 1982 are primarily made out of zinc, which could potentially be fatal.
The doctors removed the pennies five at a time via endoscopy until the coins were all out of the dog, reported CBS New York.
“He climbed on my desk to get at the bag with the bagel and knocked the change all over the floor. While he was licking up the crumbs, he swallowed the pennies,” Tim Kelleher, the dog’s owner, told the Daily News.
The Daily News posted an image of an X-ray of the dog, showing a mass of pennies inside his stomach.
“Early and safe removal was absolutely imperative to Jack’s health,” Dr. Amy Zalcman, an emergency doctor at BluePearl, who looked over the dog’s treatment, told CBS. “If Jack would not have had the pennies removed, the consequences would have been fatal.”
Zalcman told ABC News that Jack is “a very lucky dog.” She added, “We certainly see pennies consumed by dogs but not in this magnitude. That’s what is so extreme about this case.”
The Epoch Times publishes in 35 countries and in 21 languages. Subscribe to our e-newsletter.