A U.S. federal judge canceled a scheduled June 11 trial between Apple Inc. and Google Inc.’s Motorola Mobility over a patent dispute related to mobile phones and tablet computers, and said that he had “tentatively” decided that the case should be dismissed because neither can prove damages.
U.S. Circuit Judge Richard Posner in Chicago on Thursday said each company’s case should be dismissed with prejudice, meaning that the case could never be brought up again.
Posner said in his order that he would delay entry of judgment until he has prepared a full opinion in about a week, as he could change his mind in the course of the preparation.
Apple filed a law suit against Motorola, alleging that Motorola’s devices such as the Droid and associated software infringed on its patents. Motorola in turn brought a counterclaim that Apple was infringing its patents.
Last month, Google closed the $12.5 billion acquisition of Motorola Mobility, after passing the regulatory approvals from countries including China.
The Epoch Times publishes in 35 countries and in 19 languages. Subscribe to our e-newsletter.