Boston Red Sox slugger David Ortiz re-signed with the team Monday, signing a two-year deal worth $26 million, according to a report on the league’s website.
“Right after the season, we identified a number of things we wanted to do this winter, but the most important one was to work to get David re-signed,” said Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington. “This is a very important first step in our offseason. David’s been an incredible performer for the Red Sox for ten years.”The 36-year-old slugger was on for a great season last year before injuring his right Achilles in July, posting a .318 batting average with 23 home runs and 60 runs batted in, in just 90 games.
“I want to really thank the ownership for approaching me and letting me know that they want me back,” said Ortiz.