Like it or not, homes are getting smaller. It takes imagination, practicality, and an eye for design to create the new trends that our shrinking homes need. Canadian furniture retailers on the cutting edge of all things chic and modern are increasing their selection of smaller, condo-sized furniture.
We caught up with Johannes Kau, buyer, marketing director, and second-generation heir to the Mobilia throne. He gave us his take on the teeny and trendy for 2013.
1. Practical functionality. Coffee tables that rise to dining height so that you can say you actually have a dining room (it’s just in the same place as your living room), ottomans that store stuff you want no one to see, and sectionals with adjustable, reclining seat backs. Ask your old furniture, “What have you done for me lately?”
2. Modular items. Did you love playing with Transformers? How about a chest of drawers that can be reassembled as a graduated sideboard or two side tables that become a chest of drawers when side by side?
3. Sofa beds. “Hey! Where’s your bed?” Today’s condo dwellers never kiss and tell.
4. Pre-planning. Don’t end up crying on Kijiji or Craigslist. After measuring your space, use Mobilia’s online room planner. Drag and drop furniture and accessories of various sizes to see what will actually fit in your space. It will feel like the first time you played with Barbie in her mansion! Too lazy? That’s what Mobilia’s trained sales associates are here for. Just show up at a store with room dimensions scribbled in crayon.
5. Lighten up that wood! Wood is always trendy, but this year tones are lighter. Goodbye dark brown or cherry! Hello birch, oak, and—best of all—reclaimed. Mobilia has brought in fabulous pieces made from reclaimed Indian Seesham wood.
6. Keeping it neutral. Grey tones “for fabric, leather, and wood as well,” says Kau.
7. White leather. Do we need to say more? The white leather sofa is a must-have. White makes everything look bigger than it is. Get it Scotch-guarded if you’re worried about the kids touching it.
8. Splashes of colour! With all these neutral tones a room needs crazy pillows of every shape and variety—the brighter and more outlandish the better. How about a pillow made from recycled bowties or blue jean pockets?
9. Lacquer liquor locker! Say that three times fast! Lacquer furniture with a matte polyester finish, or even better, visible wood veneer underneath ads lustre and luxury to any space.
10. Leather headboards. Let your imagination do the rest.
What do we all agree is never coming back? Waterbeds—our apologies to all children of the ‘70s.
Curious about Mobilia? Then go have some fun on the mobilia.ca website. Amuse yourself with Mobilia’s Room Planning game online. You can adjust the room size, drag and drop in a wide variety of furnishings and print out your handy work before you go shopping.
Don’t know what your “style” is? The fashion test takes only five minutes, but it earns you a peek into your personal fashion DNA.
Marika Asikainen is content manager for EiEi Home. Zoe Ackah is special features editor for The Epoch Times
The Epoch Times publishes in 35 countries and in 19 languages. Subscribe to our e-newsletter.